3rd Annual S.A.L. Rib Cook Off
July 11 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Welcome to the Annual S.A.L Rib Cook-Off which will be held on Saturday July 11, 2019 on the legion grounds and pavilion. The goal this year, is to raise money for the Illinois Veterans home in Manteno, and also to have a great time doing it!! Last year $9,043 was raised for The Home thanks to all of you! We are also asking for Sponsors an various levels if you know a local business that would like to be recognized during this event. Contestants need to pre-register & have paid $80 cash entry fee plus $10 for each additional slab you plan to cook (registration due by June 15th ). Prizes will include cash (TBD) and a trophy to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers!
All teams in the Rib Cook-Off will be provided 3 slabs of pork baby-back ribs included in your entry fee. All accepted entries are to be cooked on premises during the time frame allotted, and in your team’s designated cooking area. You may season or prepare your ribs as your team sees fit. Cooking can be done on your choice of grill, smoker, or by any other medium. Note: there is very limited electricity. We will provide these to the first teams that request them at registration. After that please provide your own small generator.
- Each team will consist of a Team Captain and as many assistants as the Team Captain deems necessary.
- Each team will provide a grill/smoker or other medium to be used exclusively by that team within the confines of the teams cooking space.
- Each team will bring their own seasonings, sauces & cooking equipment/ utensils.
- Small “easy-up” tents are recommended for shade or rain 12’X 12’ MAX. (trust us, it’s a smart idea!)
- Contestants must adhere to all electrical, fire, health & other codes whether local, county, state, or federal
- Ribs will be distributed to teams shortly after 9:30 am
- All Liquor sales must be conducted through the American Legion after 11:00 a.m. and no person under the age of 21 may consume any alcohol on the property.
- Each team is solely responsible for observing meat/cooking temperatures as well as proper sanitary conditions.
- Turn in boxes will be provided, garnish is not. Acceptable garnish includes lettuce (all varieties), cilantro, or flat leaf/Italian parsley.
9:30-10:00am- Team Meeting, Stars Spangled Banner, & Ribs will be distributed
10:00am- Cooking begins
11:00 am- Bar opens!!
1:00pm- Pulled Pork served
4:30pm (sharp!)- TURN IN TIME
5:00pm- Raffle winners announced
5:45pm (aprox.)- Awards Presentation
Judging Overview & Criteria
- Blind Judging containers will be handed out at 1:30p.m.
- Each team must prepare one sample per judge (3-6 judges)
- Anything placed in the container that is not acceptable garnish will result in disqualification
- Entries will be scored on appearance, aroma, taste, tenderness, moisture and overall impression. Each category will be scored (0-10) and overall impression (0-25) highest total points wins
- Entries must be delivered to the judging location by 4:30pm SHARP!
Questions? Please TEXT Nick McGuire at (815)409-6885